Pikes Peak Habitat’s Veteran Home Repair Program focuses on exterior work such as painting, patching, minor repair, landscaping and replacement of exterior building materials for maintaining good or sound condition. Tasks may include repair or replacement of siding, fascia, trim, exterior storm windows and exterior doors, porch, gutters and downspouts; as well as exterior needs related to handicap accessibility, grading and drainage, paint and tree trimming. If your home is in need of repairs, review the eligibility criteria listed below.
Demonstrate Need – Applicants must lack adequate resources or ability to accomplish minor exterior repairs and maintenance, landscaping, clean-up, or painting on their own. Applicants must be seeking repairs for a home that they own and occupy.
Have an Ability to Pay – Applicants must demonstrate that their household income is less than the maximum allowable income. Household income will include the income of all adults living in the home who are 18 years-old or older.
Willingness to Partner – Applicants are required to turn in complete applications. Each applicant is required to be present and engaged on their construction site while Habitat staff and volunteers are working. This means that all members of the household who are over the age of 18 will be willing to provide ten hours of volunteer time, or sweat equity, to assist with the repair project.
- Applicant must be a U.S. Citizen or hold a U.S. Permanent Resident Card.
- Applicant must be able to provide a copy of his/her DD form 214 to verify discharge from Active Duty.
- The property must be located in El Paso County.
- The home must have been constructed after 1977 to eliminate asbestos and lead abatement concerns.
- The property must not be in danger of foreclosure and mortgage payments must be current.
- Applicant must be able to provide certificate of current homeowner’s insurance.
- The home, property, and the surrounding area must be deemed a safe working environment for the project and volunteers.
- Habitat will perform a background check on each applicant – individuals who have been convicted of crimes against children or sexually violent offenses will not be eligible to participate.
Veteran Home Repair Interest Form
We are currently accepting applications for this program. If you have reviewed the eligibility criteria and feel that you qualify the Veteran Home Repair Program, please fill out the form below and you will be contacted by a staff member.