Our Home Repair Program focuses on serving cost-burdened families, veterans and seniors in El Paso County, CO. Pikes Peak Habitat for Humanity also partners with local organizations to simplify costs, improve and expand the services provided, and leverage existing community resources.
Repair projects fall into three categories:
- Aging-in-Place: Projects that serve low-income seniors to improve home safety and accessibility in their homes. In 2022, we've partnered with Silver Key Senior Services in a collaborative initiative called the Senior Modification Program. This program is made possible in part with generous funding through the Myron Stratton Foundation.
- Critical Home Repair: Projects that involve exterior work such as roofing, siding, window or door replacement or repair, as well as deck and ramp installation and repair
- Cost $5-10K to complete
- Home Preservation Repair: Projects that involve exterior work such as painting, patching, minor repair, landscaping and replacement of exterior building materials
- Cost less than $5K to complete
- Need –Applicants must be unable to afford and/or perform the repairs themselves, and the total household income must fall below 80% of the area median income (AMI). Household income includes the income of all adults living in the home who are 18 years old or older.
- Ability to Pay – Applicants must be willing to contribute a small percentage of the repair costs. Payment is calculated on a sliding scale based on a percentage of AMI along with a mutually beneficial payment arrangement.
- One of the foundational principles of Habitat for Humanity is that we provide "a hand up, not a handout." The Habitat model, which requires payment for construction services by the recipient of those services, helps Habitat homeowners develop a stronger sense of ownership of their homes, whether new or repaired. Homeowner contributions also help make our work sustainable and organizational growth possible.
- Willingness to Partner – Applicants are required to turn in a complete application and must be present during the duration of the repair work. Any members of the household who are over the age of 18 should be willing to provide hours of volunteer time ("sweat equity") to assist with the repair project.
Now Accepting Applications for our Critical Home Repair Program - Seeking Veteran Applicants
Interested in applying? Follow these steps:
- Review qualifications
- Download application
- Read all instructions carefully and complete the entire application
- Submit your application and documentation via one of three options below:
Questions? Contact our Home Repair Program Manager, Leah Cowles, at (719) 475-7800 ext. 109 or email@example.com
Eligible repair projects will address health and safety concerns. Projects may include:
- Replacement of Siding
- Gutters and Downspouts
- Handicap Accessibility Needs
- Grading and Drainage
- Electrical Defects
- Windows and Doors
- Fascia / Paint
- Fencing / Porches
- Dangerous Ingress and Egress
What Is the Need for Repairs in El Paso County?
- Cost-Burdened Homeowners – In 2018, the US Census Bureau counted 82,235 households as cost-burdened in El Paso County with little to no income for critical repairs to maintain safe and healthy living conditions. This need grows larger every day, especially with the current health and economic crisis, when families are forced to make do or do without. For an existing homeowner who is cost-burdened, home repairs are often an extremely low priority, and the repairs are put off. This can lead to home structural issues, accessibility issues and dangerous living conditions.
- Seniors (65 and over) – The fastest-growing age segment in both Colorado Springs and El Paso County is seniors, and this trend is projected to continue. Seniors are often on a fixed income and may not be able to afford costly repairs on their aging homes.
- Veterans – Colorado is home to more than 400,000 veterans, with more than 85,000 living in El Paso County, home to five military installations, including Fort Carson and Peterson Air Force Base.
How Can You Help?
Donate today to help seniors, veterans, and cost-burdened homeowners repair their homes. Your donation will help fund needed equipment and individual repair projects.
Donate today to help preserve homes, revitalize neighborhoods, and build a better El Paso County!